HummingbirdFeederReview.com presents our listing of the 8 best hummingbird feeders for 2019. Find out which hummingbird feeder products are the highest rated by bird lovers.
Top 8 Hummingbird Feeders:
1. Perky-Pet 8119-2 Red Antique Bottle Hummingbird Feeder
Priced slightly under 20$ this is feeder whose design will draw your attention. The outer body is made primarily out of glass with decorative patterns adorning the area close to the base of the feeder. To add to the classy look, the bottom of the feeder is beautified with accents that have an elegant copper finish. Concerning capacity, the feeder can comfortably hold 24 oz of nectar which oozes out through 4 flower feeding ports situated at the base. One can get the feeder in a variety of colors.
2. Perky-Pet 203CPBR Pinch Waist Hummingbird Feeder, Red Glass
If you are looking for something stylish, this is one feeder that is bound to impress. Aesthetically, the outer body of the feeder is made out of a translucent glass bottle that is either red or clear in color. The four feeding ports of this particular feeder have a unique flower shape with removable patches that mimic the form of actual flowers. The wide mouth opening and feeder base are easy to clean. The feeder is equipped with a built-in and moat and a bee shield to protect the nectar.
3. First Nature 3055 32-ounce Hummingbird Feeder
The feeder has a very intricate design. In terms of built quality, the feeder is made out of durable polymer. The round perch design of this feeder incorporates a mouth reservoir to hold water, a patented two-part base, ten feeding ports and an s- hook. The feeder has a capacity of 32ounce and has an attractive red base whose primary purpose is to attract hummingbirds.
4. More Birds Hummingbird Feeder, Glass Hummingbird Feeders, Red, 5 Feeding Stations, 13-Ounce Nectar Capacity, Elixir Bottle
This is one of the classics in the hummingbird feeding category with a vintage kind of design. This makes it a perfect centerpiece for your backyard. The feeder is made out of glass with the nectar bottle having a capacity of 13 ounces. The nectar delivery system relies on a supply system which evenly distributes nectar to 5 feeding ports.
5. First Nature 3091 16-Ounce Hummingbird Flower Feeder
With a wide-mouth reservoir and a well-crafted patented base, this is one feeder that will not only be easy to fill and clean but also stand out as a work of art. To ensure durability, the feeder is made out of sturdy polymer which has been polished to give the feeder a shiny look. To make it easy for the hummingbirds to seep the nectar, the feeder has ten yellow feeding ports and can comfortably hold 16 ounces of nectar. To enhance the aesthetics and safety, the feeder has well-designed rings that aid in leak prevention.
6. Aspects HummZinger HighView 12 oz Hanging Hummingbird Feeder
This is one of the feeders that are tailor-made to offer the birds maximum comfort, an excellent view, and an easy time drinking. The highlight of the design is a high-tech view patch that provides a perfect resting point for the birds. The feeding ports of this particular feeder are intricately designed to minimize obstruction while the bird is drinking. To ensure durability, the outer cover of the feeder is made up of unbreakable polycarbonate. The feeder is adorned with bright red color to attract hummingbirds.
7. Aspects Jewel Box Suction Cup Windows Hummingbird Feeder, 8-Ounce (Red)
If style and uniqueness is your thing, this is one feeder that you should consider buying. This hummingbird feeder is built to impress and will bring the beauty of watching hummingbirds to your window. It is compact enough to fit in small spaces and has a capacity of 8 ounces. The nectar delivery system relies on a 3 -port feeding system making the feeder very efficient.
8. Aroma Trees Handheld Hummingbird Feeders Original Design with Perch—Pack of 2
Having the privilege to see hummingbirds feed on your hands is exactly what this feeder is designed to offer. The feeding is ideal for use by the young and old and incorporates two unique features, a suction cup pump, and a strategically positioned perch. The design of the feeder allows for easy customization as it merely requires one to change the flower and cup. To attract birds, the feeder is equipped with a wire, and red bead serves which not only adds beauty to this unique masterpiece but also attracts hummingbirds to the feeder.
Selecting a Hummingbird Feeder
Hummingbird feeders can broadly be classified into two based on the positioning of the reservoir.
1. An inverted feeder
The design of this kind of feeder incorporates the use of a central reservoir that is strategically positioned over the feeding port. The positioning allows for the easy release of nectar due to gravity ensuring that the ports area always filled with nectar at all times.
Pros and cons inverted features
• The design makes it easy for one to monitor the nectar levels during feeding.
• Have a higher capacity compared to saucer feeders.
• The compact design makes them difficult to clean.
• The feeder easily attracts insects and is prone to the risk of leakages.
2. Saucer feeders
Unlike the inverted feeder, the saucer feeder has a shallow dish as a reservoir. The bowl is filled with nectar and then covered with a lid that has smalls holes that act as nectar ports. Their primary purpose is to allow birds to sip the nectar.
The pros and cons
• The feeder is user-friendly making it easy to assemble, fill and clean.
• It can easily be mounted on a variety of locations.
• Compared to other feeders it is small and will require frequent refilling.
• Due to the feeder’s small size, it may be difficult for birds to spot.
Top Feeder Brands
First Nature 3051 Hummingbird Feeder
This feeder tops the list backed up by impressive features such as durability, favorable pricing, and effectiveness. According to reviews by customers, it not only attracts the birds but is also easy to clean and refill making it worthy of the praises.
More Birds Hummingbird Feeder
This is one of the top brands in the glass category and has over the years received impressive reviews from customers. Top features that have impressed customers include the high capacity of the feeder which is up to 20 ounces, a wide opening, easy to clean compartments and attractive metal finishing gives it a distinct vintage look.
Top brands in the mini and oversized category
First Nature feeders take the show in the category with the first nature 3090 feeder topping the list. The feeder has an impressive capacity of 32 ounces and a beautiful design. In the mini category, the Gray Bunny hummingbird feeder tops the division with the feeders having a remarkable 2.3ounce capacity.
The perky-pet antique green glass feeder stands out from the rest due to its vintage-inspired design that also incorporates metal hangers. The piece is simply a work of art.
How to clean a hummingbird feeder
1. Have the right set of tools
A feeder has various features such as the ports which as easily clogged and may require specialized cleaning. One will need assorted toothbrushes, a soft cloth and cleaning chemicals. Hot water can be used as a substitute for the cleaning chemicals.
2. Disassemble the feeder
Carefully dis-attach components of the feeder such as the base and perches, to make the cleaning task more manageable. Before dis-assembly, ensure you drain all the old nectar.
3. Clean the various components
The reservoir should be thoroughly cleaned using clean water, a piece of cloth and detergent to remove any residue or mold that may be stuck to the sides of the reservoir. Feeding ports should be thoroughly scrubbed using toothbrushes with clean water being allowed to flow through the ports to remove any solids or nectar that may be stuck.
4. Rinsing and drying
Once all parts are clean, run cold water thoroughly through the various components to ensure all the soap and dirt is washed away. The various components should then be allowed to dry in an open place that is free from dust. Assembly is usually the last step before the now clean feeder is refilled with nectar and put back to the backyard.
How to Keep Bees and Ants Away from your Hummingbird Feeder
1. Use red saucer feeders as opposed to other kinds of feeders. The color is more attractive to birds and the feeder holes are long enough to deter any bees from attempting to seep the nectar.
2. Buy ant moats or go for feeders with ant moats as they prevent ants from feeding on the nectar.
3. Hang your feeders with a fish line as opposed to ordinary rope. Fish lines are thinner than normal rope making it very hard for ant to climb.
4. Employ the use of slip nectar guards. Slip guards are perfect when it comes to blocking insects such as ants from getting nectar from the feeder holes.
5. Make it a habit to change the location of your feeder frequently. A slight change of location of just 2 inches is enough to confuse insects and make it hard for insects to find it.
6. Ensure you frequently check for leakages and seal them if possible. Dripping nectar is bound to attract ants and bees to your feeder.
7. Consider making the outside covering of your feeder slippery. Ants have a hard time moving on slippery objects and this may deter them from invading your feeder.
8. Use insecticide. This applies when the feeder is hung on a tree. The insecticide should be sprayed on the trunk to avoid contaminating the nectar.
9. Make it a habit to regularly clean your feeder. A drop of nectar on a feeder is enough to attract ants. Ensuring the outer cover of the feeder is always cleans minimizes the chances of an insect invasion.
Tips for Attracting Hummingbirds to your Yard
1. Consider adorning your garden with a variety of plants which hummingbird. You can consider adding a native plant to add to your variety and make your backyard garden a hummingbird garden. Plants broom during various times of the year ensure you plant a variety of plants that bloom at different times of the year to have a continuous broom schedule in your garden.
2. Avoid the use of pesticides around your hummingbird plants. Pesticides can be quite repelling and also kills insects which having birds feed on. Go natural in your weed and pest management to maintain a suitable ecosystem for your hummingbirds.
3. Make your backyard a hummingbird relaxing spot by providing perches for the birds to rest. This will make your garden more appealing to the birds and consequently attract them to your feeders.
4. Beautify your garden with red colors
Hummingbirds are attracted to the color red. Adorning your garden with red ribbons and decorations will catch their attention each time they fly close to your yard.
5. Consider installing a fountain in your yard
Hummingbirds love going for a brief swim or just enjoying the fine mist of water they get from water bodies. Having a fountain will significantly assist in attracting birds to your yard.
6. Be creative
How you arrange your yard is the determining factor on the visual appeal it is going to have to the birds. Key features such as feeders and the fountain should be in areas that easily visible to the birds and have enough room for the birds to relax. One should avoid placing feeders too close to each other as it minimizes chances of fighting between the birds and allows the birds enough room to move around.
Make it a habit to frequently check your feeders and ensure they are functioning correctly. The nectar in your feeders should frequently be changed to ensure the birds have a supply of fresh nectar at all times. Observation is crucial. Always re- various design elements of your garden based on behaviors of the birds over time.